Father, Forgive Them
- This Is Amazing Grace
- 10,000 Reasons
- How Can It Be
Luke 23:33 And when they came to the place that is called The Skull, there they crucified him, and the criminals, one on his right and one on his left. 34And Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” And they cast lots to divide his garments. 35 And the people stood by, watching, but the rulers scoffed at him, saying, “He saved others; let him save himself, if he is the Christ of God, his Chosen One!” 36 The soldiers also mocked him, coming up and offering him sour wine 37 and saying, “If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!
WHAT WAS GOING ON?
- A completely Innocent Man who had just been Unfairly Condemned in a Rigged Trial was suffering Inhumane Torture at the hands of Mocking People.
HOW DID JESUS NOT RESPOND?
- He did not respond in the way that we might expect a person in that situation to respond.
- He did not say what many of us would have said.
WHAT DID HE SAY?
- “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.”
- He said what none of us would have said.
WAS HIS PRAYER ANSWERED? YES!
WHY DOES IT MATTER … FOR ME & YOU?
- Jesus is our Supreme Example of how to treat our own enemies.
- No sin is too evil to be forgiven by God!
- If there was forgiveness for these Jesus-hating Christ-killers, then God can forgive anybody for anything they have done!